Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
News and Articles
[events]HaxeJam 2022: Summer Jam!
- The Next Chapter for Proletariat Inc by CEO Seth Sivak.
- Fireworks – DQ2 Progress Report for June 2022 by Lars Doucet.
- 🗝️One Page Dungeon Generator
1.2.3: custom notes and rear entrances article by Oleg Dolya.
- House Corrino is coming to Dune: Spice Wars!
- Heaps can easily compile to Android, iOS, HTML5, MAC, Windows announcement thread.
- New Dead Cells alpha is out - panchaku, rebalancing, legendary rework, pet the pet & more!
- OpenFL Defines, And Their Meanings article by Shahar Marcus from the Haxe Discord server. ️
In case you missed it
- Spellbreak is shutting down early next year. The parent company, Proletariat had been acquired by Blizzard Entertainment to beef up the staff on World of Warcraft.
- A Shroomy Crossover article from Renaine.
- Dead Cells - Breaking Barriers update (Accessibility options & Assist Mode) vlog and patch notes. Available on PC & consoles now!
- The Changes Update
v0.3for Bring It On! by Axol Studio.
[events]Osaka Red LLC has added a separate “free” tickets options for HaxeHybrid 2022 LAX.
Videos & Music
In case you missed it
- Jérémy Fa shared a video of actual setup of the installation from previous issue.
- Squuuidly continues streaming development of Renaine.
- Add an available job involving Haxe.
Looking for work
- Andreas Drewke is looking for a freelancer job or part time job.
- Axol Studio’s are looking for a social media manager & for someone to playtest & help balance the game difficulty.
- Hacksaw Studios are looking for a Haxe developer to join their team working on the core framework. EU candidates preferred & position is remote friendly.
- Saga Education, “a leading provider of in-person and online tutoring products, currently has multiple openings for Software Engineers”, Software Engineer III, Staff Software Engineer, plus two other technical positions.
- Shiro Games are looking for a talented marketing director to join them!
- ScottPlusPlus is looking to hire a Haxe developer, ideally with web experience, to help with consultation and code-reviews for a couple hours per week.
- Little team is looking for a Haxe developer to work on HTML5 games.
- Shiro Games are looking for a Senior Game Programmer.
- The latest bounty from Rob Clemmons, a Better Inventory System for
- Basic Platformer Pathfinding AI for HaxeFlixel
- Squidly has opened up a bounties page for HaxeFlixel features.
Product Releases & Announcements
- Dicey Dungeons Reunion DLC will be released, today, July 7th. Check out the Dicey Dungeons Reunion & The Reunion Reunion articles.
- “My favourite place” by zzox (tyler) is out now on itch and Newgrounds.
- 🔥 SSSPICY! 🔥 by torcado. Made for kajam 2022.
- Talk To Strangers developed by Post Mortem Pixels is ported from Stencyl to Nintendo Switch and will be available soon on Nintendo eShop.
- Skyfire2008 uploaded the latest build of TD2S with lots of new sounds and bug fixes.
In case you missed it
- A new update for [Speer DX] is now live! via Ando.
Previews & Demos
- Hollow river shapes by Oleg Doyla.
2.5.0has been released!
git- Assembler designed to work in conjunction with my microcode compiler.
- ʇ0mmy has released HL_WMF_Video
gitwhich adds VideoTexture Integration for Heaps / HL using Windows Media Foundation. ️
git- HaxeFlixel Multi-Window POC.
- Check out the latest open source Haxe projects over on GitHub.
- The final generative art piece being exhibited by Jérémy Fa, made with ceramic.
- Hopefully this will work like I intend it to by Rob Clemmons Jr.
- Screens from 3-1 levels of
WIPHitter game by Naoya.
- Quick video of a work in progress level by MortMort. Plus a bit of art, level design, programming & who knows maybe music too for a generic mobile platformer.
- Couple of quick videos from Purradox by SRDude:
- I like when the menu loops, it just sends itself around the world instead hopping the shortest distance back.
- Day 49. File select screen. Tastier than ramen cooked in dr. pepper.
Some Library Releases
- Check out the most recent library releases on HaxeLib.
People & Projects to support
- Funkin’ Crew is making Friday Night Funkin’, a cartoon rhythm gaming excellence
- Patrick is creating Raspberry Pi 4 support for Haxe/Lime/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel.
- Josh Tynjala is working on Feathers UI — open source, cross-platform UI components built with OpenFL.
- Pavel Alexandrov is primarily contributing to the Heaps engine and is the creator of format-tiled library.
- Ian Harrigan is working on primarily HaxeUI, as well as hxArduino & hxWebSockets.
- Kaelan Evans is working on HxDoom, a Haxe adaption of Doom.
- Richard Oliver Bray is teaching people the things he’s learnt, like React, Typescript and Haxe.
- Alexander Gordeyko is developing Pony, a Haxe open-cross-library.
- Andy Li is working around the Haxe ecosystem: CI, packaging, docs and learning materials.
- Kevin Leung is creating open source software libraries.
- Robert Konrad, the Kha author, is creating Programming Toolkits.
- OpenFL is creating free open source software.
- HaxeUI is creating an open source user interface libraries.
- HaxeFlixel is creating an open source, cross platform 2D game engine.
- Slava Ra is creating improvements for FlashDevelop and HaxeDevelop.
- Mark Knol is working on Haxe and its documentation.
- Dan Korostelev is working on the Haxe compiler.
Updates from the Haxe core
Current Proposals & Discussions
- Add Traits proposal.
- Add Constructor
- Add new syntax for getters & setters inspired by the
C#property syntax proposal.
- Add a type for meaningless values (similar to unit type) proposal.
- Add better Overload Support proposal.
- Add Static Extension Meta Functions proposal.
enumproposal, plus clarification.
- Add Enum abstract instances proposal.
[RFC]Xml Dsl’s discussion.
- Add Default values for enum parameters.
- Do you have an idea to improve Haxe? Consider creating a proposal.
20~ updates have been made to Haxe in the last week.
- Add JVM annotations within annotations pull request.
- Abstract classes and interface issue.
- Monomorph type applied when doing
JvmCode.EmptyStackwhen using explicit return inside an arrow function stored in a field issue.
- Inline constructor fails when some function returns
- Add BigInteger type pull request, with this implementation being
5xfaster than others and
3xfaster than native Java. ️
In case you missed it
- Avoid creating instance method closures with
- Retyping mechanism merged.
- Add a way to skip a
@:fromcast for consideration by top down inference issue.
You can get started using the latest features by downloading a nightly build of Haxe and see the impact the latest changes have on each target by browsing the benchmarks site.
Take it easy everyone, stay safe and see you next week.