Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
News and Articles
- Haxe Godot externs announcement updated for Godot
- Check out the Creator Spotlight interview with Adam Engebretson about using Haxe and Defold together.
- HF Breakout 4 - Paddles and HF Breakout 5 - Score! tutorials by Andrej.
- HaxeFlixel Camera – Following The Player article by Kino Rose.
- Haxe Finding Uses For Rest article by Kino Rose.
- Haxe Introductions to Enums article by Kino Rose.
- Limitations of running Lime / OpenFL on the Raspberry Pi by Patrick Gutlich.
- Friday Night Funkin’: The Full Ass Game Kickstarter currently at
$1,540,027with 19 days still to go!
- Eric Schmiel wrote the article “Trying out Haxe and Haxeflixel for the Ludum Dare 48 Game Jam”.
In case you missed it
- Friday Night Funkin’: The Full Ass Game - Cartoon Rhythm Gaming Excellence Kickstarter has launched, currently at
- Cameron Taylor interviewed in “Kickstarter launched for Friday Night Funkin’” article.
- 🏰 Medieval Fantasy City Generator
0.8.3: assorted improvements article by Oleg Dolya.
- Kickstarter Devlog Roundup: April 2021 article by Josh Tynjala.
- PogoGirl Devlog
#15: The Platform Rundown article by Andrej.
- Kino Rose has published three articles this week:
- “Sight” The Horror Game has been announced by ArmoryBlender.
[patreon]To celebrate the destruction of the first Patreon goal, Andrej has posted the next TWO parts of HaxeFlixel Breakout tutorial in early access.
[patreon]Install Haxe without docker with binaries from my GitHub repository article.
Videos & Music
- Introduction to HaxeFlixel Part 8 by Questionable Programming.
- Armory3d | First Person Controller | Advanced Movement
#3video by ArmoryBlender.
- Add a video related to Haxe.
In case you missed it
- HaxeIn 2021 powered by InnoGames playlist by Alexander Hohlov.
- Introduction to HaxeFlixel Part 7 by Questionable Programming.
- Luyren Stencyl Quick Tips - Image API video by Luyren.
- ArmorPaint. Leather chair. Procedural material + my new nodes. English and French videos by Alexander Kiryanov.
- More mobile friendly website video by RPG Playground.
Upcoming Events & Talks
- Add an upcoming event about Haxe.
- Add an available job involving Haxe.
- To reach their goal of helping to save one million lives every year by 2030, Laerdal is looking for a Software Platform Developer to join them in Copenhagen. Remote work is possible, but will require several days a week on site.
- Shiro Games are looking for an Engine/Graphics programmer.
- The team behind Forge of Empires at InnoGames is looking for a Haxe developer, feel free to contact Dan Korostelev in case of any questions! More info can be found at the company’s website.
- BeeInventor Limited are hiring for a Haxe fullstack developer to join them in Taipei & Hong Kong.
- Squidly has opened up a bounties page for HaxeFlixel features.
- Lars Doucet’s list of various open bounties.
Product Releases & Announcements
- Try 10 Seconds Ago over on itch.io, a game made in HaxeFlixel for
#BulletHellJamby Markl over on the Haxe Discord server.
- The Whack a Mole update for Dead Cells by Motion Twin is live for Nintendo Switch, Xbox and PlayStation! Play with 3 new heavy weapons, 3 new mutations and spend cells in 5BC with the Collector’s Intern!
- Try The Facility over on Newgrounds, made for
LM0B Beginners Game Jam #22by Magnus over on the Haxe Discord server.
- Latin American needs… GRAPE SODA! initial release by Dylan Navas.
- Magnus from the Haxe Discord server has finished An Eternity Under Water (PROTOTYPE).
In case you missed it
- Friday Night Funkin - Week 7 is out now! Timed exclusive to Newgrounds!
- Legends of IdleOn is an idle MMO made in Stencyl by one person. Go check it out now on Steam! via Stencyl.
- Ragdolls Can’t Dunk by Fresh Juice Games is getting released on May 5th to the iOS and Android stores, made with Stencyl.
- Have an example you want to add? Consider contributing to the code.haxe.org cookbook.
Previews & Demos
LD48 “Deeper and deeper”
- ☢ Nuclear Blaze, a Ludum Dare entry made with Heaps, LDtk and Gamebase: Nuclear Blaze by Sébastien Bénard.
- Improbability engine, an Escheresque point 'n click puzzle game by Aurel.
- Diacombs, “You are a microscopic creature called a Diacomb”, made with HaxeFlixel.
- Grem, “a short challenging tile-based action puzzle game” by Ty made with HaxeFlixel.
- Orbdig “a digging game with dynamite and explosions and lasers!” by Daniel made with Kha & Nape.
- Depth Orb, with “the goal of the game is to steer the orb left and right and thereby descend deeper and deeper into the game” by Of Mimas made with Heaps.
- Plunge, in which you “avoid the red, collect the green & how fast can you get to the end?” by ZwodahS over on the Haxe Discord server. The source is available on GitLab.
- Check out Fishing Trouble in which “you are in debt to a very bad mobster dude. The only way you can get out of it is to do what you do best - fish” by jefvel over on the Haxe Discord server.
- Miner Rescue, “save the last generation of space miners from their doom!” by Vasco over on the Haxe Discord server.
- Nalin Bermet by Kino, in which you “help our young hero grant his wish by venturing to the bottom of the well and obtaining the lotus” via the Haxe Discord server.
- You got 1 minute to blast through your insides in non-stop furious action. Kick your mom’s ass and beg for forgiveness! Fetal Fury
- Self reflection by torcado. Look deep within your own soul. what will you find?
- Bad Water by Andrei Rudenko. Where you play as a water creature, and slowly dive deep to save yourself from toxic pollution.
- Fleeting “the battle is already lost, and this is where we start. You are in shambles, an easy target for the predators to hunt down and tear apart, and there is not much you can do about it other than flee.”
- Escape is a “Vertical scrolling platformer. Go deeper into the pit of evil to avoid the spikes. Maybe there’s a way out?” made with HaxeFlixel by Matt.
- Check out more Haxe Ludum Dare games from the last theme LD47 “Stuck in a loop”.
- With Haxe Clipboard by Ludovic Bas you can read Windows clipboard from Haxe and access text, images, HTML and SVG. Here is screenshot showing copy pasting from Affinity Photo to an OpenFL app. Plus you can write text and other strings like HTML from the Haxe Discord server.
- Some previews from HaxeUI by Ian Harrigan:
- Its fun messing with the abstractions in HaxeUI! A pure text UI!
- While messing around (playing with jvm target), a HaxeUI JavaFX backend was created!
- Look Ma, no hands!
0.9.3- “Ludum Dare 48 edition” has been released.
git- Import dialogger projects into Haxe. https://github.com/Descrout/dialogger.
git- Bundle providing Bootstrap and Bootstrap Icons in one Haxe package.
- Ian Harrigan has pushed the new SideBar component into HaxeUI git.
- Check out the latest open source Haxe projects over on GitHub.
- Super Cosmic Heist - The Cavern Mines screenshots by Fierce.
- Jérémy Fa previewing playing with shaders and auto tiling, followed up with some explanation over on the Haxe Discord server.
- Intermission quick video from
- Shooting in Jitter Sandbox by Syo.
- Mine Blocks weekly update 23 is out with quite a few newly ported mobs!
- Some fun with shifting platforms in Go! Go! PogoGirl by Andrej.
- New GIF from
WIPgame by lampysprites.
WIP: fields by Oleg Dolya.
- Robert Alvarez is working on a puzzle game with lasers!
- A Heaps shader for OpenLR preview by Kaelan Evans.
- If anyone wants to play test a prototype here’s what tissproper from the Haxe Discord server has started in HaxeFlixel - Fish, Man.
- New GIFs from
WIPpuzzle game by mauve:
Some Library Releases
- Check out the most recent library releases on HaxeLib.
People & Projects to support
- Funkin’ Crew is making Friday Night Funkin’, a cartoon rhythm gaming excellence
- Patrick is creating Raspberry Pi 4 support for Haxe/Lime/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel.
- Josh Tynjala is working on Feathers UI — open source, cross-platform UI components built with OpenFL.
- Pavel Alexandrov is primarily contributing to the Heaps engine and is the creator of format-tiled library.
- Ian Harrigan is working on primarily HaxeUI, as well as hxArduino & hxWebSockets.
- Kaelan Evans is working on HxDoom, a Haxe adaption of Doom.
- Richard Oliver Bray is teaching people the things he’s learnt, like React, Typescript and Haxe.
- Alexander Gordeyko is developing Pony, a Haxe open-cross-library.
- Andy Li is working around the Haxe ecosystem: CI, packaging, docs and learning materials.
- Kevin Leung is creating open source software libraries.
- Robert Konrad, the Kha author, is creating Programming Toolkits.
- Lubos & contributors are creating Armory, an open source 3D game engine in Blender.
- OpenFL is creating free open source software.
- HaxeUI is creating an open source user interface libraries.
- HaxeFlixel is creating an open source, cross platform 2D game engine.
- Slava Ra is creating improvements for FlashDevelop and HaxeDevelop.
- Mark Knol is working on Haxe and its documentation.
- Dan Korostelev is working on the Haxe compiler.
- Eric Bishton is creating the Haxe plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.
- Will Blanton is creating HaxeFlixel tutorials.
- Matthew Wallace is creating Haxe By Example tutorials.
- August Late is creating unique 2D lighting tech.
Updates from the Haxe core
Current Proposals & Discussions
- Add Destructor proposal.
- Add Enum abstract instances proposal.
- Add Null coalescing operator proposal.
- Add local static proposal.
- Allow enums to opt-out of publishing their constructors in the implicit global scope proposal.
- Add destructive assignments proposal.
- Add Matcher: setting variables and guard as expression in a pattern proposal.
- Add Single pattern check proposal.
- Add Shorthand nullable-type syntax proposal.
- Add support for on site getters & setters proposal.
- Add support for
Selfaccess for abstracts proposal.
[RFC]Xml Dsl’s discussion.
- Add support for default type parameters proposal.
- Add polymorphic
- Add Default values for enum parameters.
- Do you have an idea to improve Haxe? Consider creating a proposal.
13~ commits have been made to Haxe compiler in the last week.
- Basic implementation of upper bound constraints merged.
In case you missed it
@:op(A += B)is eliminated by the analyzer fixed.
[php]enum/class named Attribute will fail at runtime with PHP 8 issue.
[hxcs]You need to define
unsafeto be able to use unsafe code in hxcs with dotnet
- Missing uninitialized local error when using local functions inside one of the branches issue.
You can get started using the latest features by downloading a nightly build of Haxe and see the impact the latest changes have on each target by browsing the benchmarks site.
Take it easy everyone, stay safe and have a good week!