Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
- Kenny Goff has written “Freelance, burnout, and Double Turn: 4 Years of Inwave Labs”.
It’s been 4 years since I started Inwave Labs and @doubleturngame so I wrote up my thoughts and reflections on the ups and downs of my indie game dev adventure.
- Oleg Dolya has written about Perilous Shores
1.1.1: coastal maps, font settings & more.
- Adding Invincibility To Your HaxeFlixel Game article by Kino Rose.
In case you missed it
- PΔSSENGER games has released CLOSED HANDS a ground breaking work of interactive fiction directed by Dan Hett, available from itch.io and made with OpenFL.
The game follows the deep intertwined stories of five people thrown together by their involvement in a fictional terror attack.
- Armory Digest Q1 2021 edition has been published.
- Gradient Vodka Soda article by Brad Gill.
[Brad] programmed their teaser website, which had a bunch of interesting technical requirements. In this post [Brad] will go over a few of the more interesting tests he wrote. Most will work best if you have hardware acceleration enabled.
- How To Create Scenes In HaxeFlixel article by Kino Rose.
- Another small update: Compass Rose Generator by Oleg Dolya.
- LDtk 2D World Builder Hands-On Tutorial by GameFromScratch.
- Tanking Texas Temperatures: DQ2 progress report for February 2021 by Lars Doucet.
- There was a fire at the hosting datacenter, so community.haxe.org is currently down.
- Introduction to HaxeFlixel Part 2 by Questionable Programming.
- Stencyl Quick Tips - Directions and Angles video by Luyren.
- Stencyl Quick Tips - Drawing Blocks video by Luyren.
- Today at 1pm Dan Hett from PΔSSENGER “will be going live with the second of our Closed Hands panels, examining Muslim representation within videogames”.
- Add a video related to Haxe.
In case you missed it
- Watch “digital artist and writer Dan Hett tells Capital about his new game ‘Closed Hands’ which looks at the long-lasting impact a terror attack has on a city.”
- Exciting new features of Haxe
4.2.0video by Richard Oliver Bray.
- ArmorPaint. News. March 10th, 2021 English and French videos by Alexander Kiryanov.
- Introduction to HaxeFlixel Part 1 video by Questionable Programming.
- Strandead teaser trailer by Miles for a game made in HaxeFlixel.
- Add an upcoming event about Haxe.
- Add an available job involving Haxe.
- To reach their goal of helping to save one million lives every year by 2030, Laerdal is looking for a Software Platform Developer to join them in Copenhagen. Remote work is possible, but will require several days a week on site.
- Shiro Games are looking for an Engine/Graphics programmer.
- Shiro Games are still looking for people to join their team of passionate developers in Bordeaux to work on a new unannounced project.
- Bloognoo is looking for a Haxe developer to help them save live venues.
- The team behind Forge of Empires at InnoGames is looking for a Haxe developer, feel free to contact Dan Korostelev in case of any questions! More info can be found at the company’s website.
- BeeInventor Limited are hiring for a Haxe fullstack developer to join them in Taipei.
- Squidly has opened up a bounties page for HaxeFlixel features.
- Lars Doucet’s list of various open bounties.
- Luyren has updated their AI and Combat Pack with “new behaviors: Radial Position Finder, for configuring attacks for rotating actors, and Actor Registry, to enable raycast to actors.” Available from itch.io.
- Luyren has “updated the Camera Follow behaviour from [their] Utility Pack with finer control options and better movement between camera locked areas!” Available from itch.io.
- Jano Games has released the “early demo of Escape the Drop” which can be played on itch.io.
In case you missed it
- Web version of Fuboos’ Woorlds is now available on itch.io. And check out the announcement post over on the OpenFL forum.
- Dicey Dungeons
v1.11is up in the “testing” branch now on Steam - should go live on Monday if there are no unexpected problems. Here is the changelog for it.
- Abyss by ZwodahS. Made with Heaps for
- Pipe using Abstract Operator Overloading code example by Jeremy Meltingtallow.
- Have an example you want to add? Consider contributing to the code.haxe.org cookbook.
- The HaxeUI code editor is coming along nicely! “It uses Monaco Editor for [the] web and Scintilla for native [builds] (and falls back to a “nothing” text area for everything else). Still some kinks and discrepancies but usable (from git) now!” by Ian Harrigan.
git- HashLink externs for Urho3D.
git- This is a not-quite-working-yet integration of HashLink into Godot.
- Check out the latest open source Haxe projects over on GitHub.
WIPSuper Cosmic Heist World 1 & World 2 by Fierce, made in Stencyl.
- The Tranquil Gardens are under threat from the invaders setting up outposts… by Fierce, made in Stencyl.
- Nick Main shares a screenshot of “calling Swift from Haxe using HashLink [that] doesn’t need any glue code”.
- Jano Games will be releasing an early demo of “Escape the Drop” in the next few days. “Can you make it all the way to the Premier League from the lower leagues?” A game made in Stencyl.
- Glassy Sundew shares a preview of saving & loading via sqlite and hxbit in their pixel art Heaps game.
- “That little green dude doesn’t seem happy that PogoGirl is bouncing all up in his business” by Andrej from Ohsat Games.
- “I wonder why he needs all those roarsources 🤔🦖” by 1speed, made with Kha.
- Joel is “still hard at work on [his] dungeon crawler! Getting close to a playable demo and planning on doing frequent updates from here on out!” An indie game made with Heaps.
- Repair bots treat the space sea turtle in Jitter Sandbox by Syo, made with Heaps.
- Check out the most recent library releases on HaxeLib.
- Pavel Alexandrov is primarily contributing to the Heaps engine and is the creator of format-tiled library.
- Ian Harrigan is working on primarily HaxeUI, as well as hxArduino & hxWebSockets.
- Kaelan Evans is working on HxDoom, a Haxe adaption of Doom.
- Richard Oliver Bray is teaching people the things he’s learnt, like React, Typescript and Haxe.
- Alexander Gordeyko is developing Pony, a Haxe open-cross-library.
- Andy Li is working around the Haxe ecosystem: CI, packaging, docs and learning materials.
- Kevin Leung is creating open source software libraries.
- Robert Konrad, the Kha author, is creating Programming Toolkits.
- Lubos & contributors are creating Armory, an open source 3D game engine in Blender.
- OpenFL is creating free open source software.
- HaxeUI is creating an open source user interface libraries.
- HaxeFlixel is creating an open source, cross platform 2D game engine.
- Slava Ra is creating improvements for FlashDevelop and HaxeDevelop.
- Mark Knol is working on Haxe and its documentation.
- Dan Korostelev is working on the Haxe compiler.
- Eric Bishton is creating the Haxe plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.
- Will Blanton is creating HaxeFlixel tutorials.
- Matthew Wallace is creating Haxe By Example tutorials.
- August Late is creating unique 2D lighting tech.
- Add Enum abstract instances proposal.
- Add Null coalescing operator proposal.
- Add local static proposal.
- Allow enums to opt-out of publishing their constructors in the implicit global scope proposal.
- Add destructive assignments proposal.
- Add Matcher: setting variables and guard as expression in a pattern proposal.
- Add Single pattern check proposal.
- Add Shorthand nullable-type syntax proposal.
- Add support for on site getters & setters proposal.
- Add support for
Selfaccess for abstracts proposal.
[RFC]Xml Dsl’s discussion.
- Add support for default type parameters proposal.
- Add polymorphic
- Add Default values for enum parameters.
- Do you have an idea to improve Haxe? Consider creating a proposal.
25~ commits have been made to Haxe compiler in the last week.
[hxcpp]Map appears to loose entries after a lot of read access issue.
- Method type parameter constraints pull request.
In case you missed it
- Allow trailing commas pull request.
[jvm]Fixe manifest generation on the jvm target merged.
[regression]Constraining class object against structure AND class throws off DCE issue.
Take it easy everyone, stay safe and have a good week!