Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
Haxe US Summit 2019
- The Haxe Summit is Small Potatoes by Josefiene Pertosa.
- Haxe US Summit 2019 - Announcing the second Haxe Summit in the United States.
- The Haxe US Summit tickets are now available. Tickets are now
- Andy Li - Building Giffon with Serverless and Haxe.
- Hugh Sanderson - XhX - 10 years of Haxe.
- Ryan Davis will talk about using Haxe for database engine building.
- Thomas .J Webb from Osaka Red LLC will talk about audio development with Haxe.
- You can submit your talk proposals for this years US Haxe Summit 2019 via the online form by Josefiene Pertosa.
- Photos from previous Haxe meetups via Josefiene Pertosa.
News and Articles
class HaxeFoundation extends Manpower- Alexander Kuzmenko joins the HF as a full-time compiler dev and Aurel Bily joins as an intern for 6 months working on various projects!
- The start of the Pascal target.
- Proposal to facilitate creation of new targets.
- Pong Master - a beginner’s effort to complete a polished game using HaxeFlixel.
1.3.0of the Lime VSCode extension greatly simplify and improve the debugging experience! More details at OpenFL forum and updated VSCode docs on the HaxeFlixel site.
- FeathersUI will be fully developed with Haxe and OpenFL by its author Josh Tynjala. He is planning to open a crowd-funding campaign for to fund it. Checkout his blog post about it and announcement on OpenFL forum.
- New blog post from Kirill Poletaev about his progress on Phantom Path.
- Renaine update #24 - PAX East Chompy Raffle and new Steam Page.
In case you missed it
4.0.0-rc.2has been released!
2.8.0has been released!
- Dead Cells had been nominated for 2019 British Academy Games Awards in the Original Property category!
- The Haxe 2018 survey results have finally been published, thanks to Valentin Lemière.
- Haxe Survey 2019 - The results and follow-up discussion.
- Announcement trailer for Nintendo Switch version of Double Kick Heroes, a game made with OpenFL.
- Dicey Dungeons by Terry Cavanagh is nominated for Excellence in Design at Independent Games Festival 2019.
- Dead Cells is the Best Action Game of the year at The Game Awards.
- A new article from Jaime Domínguez, How to profile Haxe HXCPP with Visual Studio.
- The Joy of Haxe - FontStruct’s love affair with a neglected programming language.
Videos & Music
- Add a video related to Haxe.
Upcoming Events & Talks
- Sebastien Benard, the Lead Game Designer of the Haxe-powered game Dead Cells, is announced as a speaker for the Reboot Development Blue game development conference at 11th-13th April 2019 in Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- The next Haxe Summit in Seattle is scheduled for 8th-10th May 2019.
- Haxe transpilation to PHP: static typing, arrow functions, metaprogramming and more by Aleksandr Kuzmenko on 14-15 June at Hong Kong Open Source Conference 2019.
- What’s new in Haxe 4 by Andy Li on 14-15 June at Hong Kong Open Source Conference 2019.
- Add an upcoming event about Haxe.
Job Offers & Bounties
- The Proletariat Inc team is growing. They are looking for artists, engineers and strong community people. Apply Here!
- Sigma Software have updated their job post and now they are looking for a Senior Haxe Developer.
- Shiro Games are looking for a Game Designer and a Senior Game Programmer to join them.
- Lars Doucet’s latest bounty for
$250is if you can come up with a nice way to unify HXCPP and HashLink C bindings.
- Lars Doucet’s list of various open bounties.
- Add an available job involving Haxe.
- OVERWHELM releases on the Switch today!
- Jetstream is now available on Steam. You can get it with
10%discount until 9th of April.
- RPG Playground is now available on Kongregate.
- The Steam version of Rise of the Giant DLC for Dead Cells is now available. The GoG version will be out ASAP and console versions will be out probably in a few weeks (after certification). Btw you could play this DLC at PAX EAST.
In case you missed it
- OTO is a minimalist platform puzzle game by Lewis Lepton made during the
notGDCJam 2019. And he started development of a bigger version of OTO with more mechanics, more levels, sounds, music!
- fangoals.games is a game by MediaMonks made with Haxe and Pixi.js.
- You can playtest MONDAR’S DUNGEON - a game by Rat King and Jana Reinhardt.
- hidezip.com is a web app by Kevin Leung made with Haxe and Coconut that lets you camouflage an archive file to make it looks like an image file in your file explorer.
- Huge free update for Northgard Relics is available now.
- The Heart of Dead Cells is half artbook, half making-of.
- Spellbreak is a new battle royale RPG with epic magic combat by Proletariat Inc..
tink_httplocal and AWS Lambda setup.
- Have an example you want to add? Consider contributing to the code.haxe.org cookbook.
Previews & Demos
- Oleg Dolya has added more variety to his procedural compass rose generator, supporting scales, curved edges, gradient mode. Checkout some elements which were implemented, but didn’t get into the released version.
- sx-2019-demo by Jonas Nyström.
- Wrenegade is a Haxe-Wren Foreign Functions Helper by Young Picasso. How the wren equivalent of the Haxe classes look like and automatically generated Wren foreign method bindings (in C++).
- Experimenting with transpilation from Haxe to Nim!
Key => valueiterator turns out to be super nice in some cases.
- Source code for Multi Snake (aka Snakha) made with Kha by Sidar Talei.
- New generative art from Matthijs Kamstra:
- sketch.art.CC059 - Rotates polygon.
- sketch.art.CC062 - Triangles rotation with delay.
- Nanjizal has modified his experiment with the
hxTrueTypelibrary and added extrusion. Source code as always available at his gitHub.
- April Fools from Octosoft team.
- You can now charge up shots in Attraction Force by Ohsat Games.
- Gabrielle is still working on the UI. It’s more reactive and readable.
- Couple of GIFs from Jitter Sandbox by Syo, bots for mooring compartments and more bots.
- Couple of screenshots from Dead World Heroes, Stranger things in GenLab and Dr. Henrik feels that his workplace (GenLab) no longer offers attractive conditions.
- Dicey Dungeons was at PAX East, checkout some of the photos, its also classed as one of top ten games at PAX East 2019 according to Indie Games+. Plus lots of pins.
- Renaine was also presented at PAX East, checkout pictures of its booth and the game running on Nintendo Switch. And Renaine’s first miniboss - Fat bird bot wants to rumble.
- More levels for Squish Machine by Brad Erkkila.
- New screenshots and videos from Alex Johansson:
- wild acrobatics with a flare gun in SHOTDOGS.
- SHOTDOGS on the iPhone X.
- footage of SHUMP with the revised shooting mechanics.
- Advancing layer management in ArmorPaint: Per-layer masking, blending, opacity and channel control. And an April Fools version of ArmorPaint.
- Little duck wont die video from the game by Ben Simms.
- Cory Martin has added a playable piano to Leaping Lads.
- Home automation pet project using HaxeUI by Ian Harrigan. Checkout the screenshot of the working test app that can communicate with real devices.
- A few arts screens from Frontier Story game by jmw:
- And nighttime.
- Main character art.
- Work on a new seed shop / nursery.
Some Library Releases
- react-next 1.113.0`
- Checkout the most recent library releases on HaxeLib.
[kha]Bitmap baking optimization (over
People & Projects to support
- Robert Konrad, the Kha author, is creating Programming Toolkits.
- Lubos & contributors are creating Armory, an open source 3D game engine in Blender.
- OpenFL is creating free open source software.
- HaxeUI is creating an open source user interface libraries.
- HaxeFlixel is creating an open source, cross plaform 2D game engine.
- Slava Ra is creating improvements for FlashDevelop and HaxeDevelop.
- Mark Knol is working on Haxe and its documentation.
- Dan Korostelev is working on the Haxe compiler.
- Lewis Lepton is creating tutorials, code and videos.
- Eric Bishton is creating the Haxe plugin for IntelliJ IDEA.
- Will Blanton is creating HaxeFlixel tutorials.
- Matthew Wallace is creating Haxe By Example tutorials.
- August Late is creating unique 2D lighting tech.
Updates from the Haxe core
Current Proposals & Discussions
- Add support for default implementations within interfaces proposal.
- Add support for default type parameters proposal.
- Add polymorphic
- Add Type parameter variance for Enums.
- Add Default values for enum parameters.
- Do you have an idea to improve Haxe? Consider creating a proposal.
26~ commits have been made to Haxe compiler in the last week.
- Fast version of
- Field final access is lost during conversion to
hxcpp_smart_stringsby default issue.
[eval] Array issue with push/pop/set issue.
[js] Shared state for multiple Haxe generated JS modules pull request.
- Cannot read & write with type inference issue.
-java-libon non Java targets issue.
Arraywill not use inline iterator issue.
- Sys Unicode unit tests issue.
[nullsafety]haxe.DynamicAccess vs safety issue.
- Final vs never vs null. Again. Pull request.
- OcamHaxe release
In case you missed it
[python]Resources are not embedded issue.
@:usingnot working on interfaces issue & discussion.
- Static extension
@:usingdoesn’t seem to work on abstract fixed.
@:usingshould work on typedefs issue.
- Reconstruct do-loops pull request.
[php]Improve generation of anonymous objects declaration with a
50%speed improvement issue.
You can get started using the latest features by downloading a nightly build of Haxe.
Take it easy everyone and have a good week!