Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
Apologies for the month long delay, I’ve had a series of unfortunate events these last few weeks, but a lot of amazing content has been released!
The World Wide Haxe Conference 2016 crowd-funding campaign has met its first goal! The campaign currently stands at
106% funded! You can read more about the goal achievement and the goal re-evaluations. For those who might still be debating to support the campaign Josefiene Pertosa has written Heading Towards WWX2016 which might persuade you.
There have been some great additions to the core compiler this last month, the Lua target has been officially merged into the core, which was created by Justin Donaldson, Oleg and Simon Krajewski, with Justin taking the responsibility of maintaining it. Thats now ten compiler targets!
Mark Knol has been working on an immensely awesome project for the community and the Haxe Foundation,
code.haxe.org, the Haxe Code Cookbook. The site is powered by pull requests so it is easy to add new content. Everyone with a GitHub account can contribute by putting markdown formatted files.
With the WWX2016 fundraising campaign almost over, Clément Charmet a few weeks ago asked if I would write some speaker interviews, like I did for WWX2014. You can find the initial draft of questions I’ve written up, do you have any specific questions for any of this years speakers? Let me know if you.
Jeff Ward has published a slick macro that allows you to have properly typed compile time constants. Jeff has also written about a more complex macro which eliminates the need for all the glue logic you would write manually, with his
lazy-props library. Jeff’s
lazy-props library is a great example of a concise, focused macro library.
There is a brand new Haxe ebook out, titled Discover HaxeFlixel written by Leonardo Cavaletti, in which you’ll learn how to use the open-source HaxeFlixel framework to effortlessly develop and distribute your game on Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, IOS and the web.
Some of the latest videos from the last month.
- Robert Konrad shows off Blocks from Heaven X made with Kha, of course.
- Sklyer Parr continues to live code his game LiveGame, made with Kha, currently with 24 videos available to watch on YouTube.
- Lewis Lepton has in the last month, started and released 14 video tutorials all about Kha, with more planned.
- Nicolas Cannasse latest Nicolas About Haxe: The Inspector available on YouTube. Very impressive.
And a few more updates from the community.
- Quaxe by Daniel Glazman is moving away from Haxe and is rewriting Quaxe in Swift.
- Bugfix Adventures #1 - This is not the variable you are looking for by Simon Krajewski.
- The Atomic game engine been made open source. You can script the Atomic game engine by using the atomic-haxe type definitions.
- Glow Flower, a game under development by Adam Nelson, using the luxe game engine, has a development log over on TIGSource.
- PuzzleBoss are looking for your suggestions and thoughts on their next game, a word search game, being made with HaxeFlixel.
- Haxe Checkstyle by Adi Reddy Mora, a static analysis tool to help developers write Haxe code that adheres to a coding standard, has been integrated into and featured by Code Climate.
- Ohmnivore has created a Haxe GameDev channel on Discord, open to everyone, using any Haxe library.
- Matthijs Kamstra has started documenting Haxe and PHP!
- Nicolas Cannasse will be presenting Haxe in the opening keynote at Game of Code in Luxembourg between 8th-10th April 2016.
- WWX2016 Haxe Conference at Mozilla Paris between 27th-30th May. Crowd-funding is currently at
- Want to talk at the WWX2016 conference? Submit your proposal to the WWX2016 GitHub repo.
- Add an upcoming event which will be about Haxe.
- SimpleStream, who develop solutions for TV over IP and provide applications for set top boxes and smart TV’s is looking for a new Haxe/JS frontend developer, based in London.
- An offer on the mailing list for multiple small assignments for a Haxe developer with experience in HTML5 has been posted.
- Add an available job which involves Haxe.
- The plot thickens, a HaxeFlixel game.
- Gnomes on gnomes on gnomes in A Wicked Curse.
- Post processing in A Wicked Curse.
- Low health! Eat a croissant Hegemone Pass.
- Leader title viewer in battle! in Hegemone Pass.
- Basis for a HaxeFlixel zelda clone.
- Experimenting with high/low poly mask effect with luxe engine.
- Interesting results while using luxe engine.
- Luxe engine editor using mínt. See it in action.
- #LOWREZJAM game progress.
- Kha preview with overused bloom and lens distortion.
Star Surveyor is an exploration game about interacting with and observing a diverse ecosystem without harming that ecosystem. There is no killing in this game. Instead you can feed frogs, ride dinosaurs, and swim in underground pools, all in an attempt to learn more about the planet you’ve landed on, and its inhabitants.
Leandro Maguna has released Prisoner onto itch.io, created with HaxeFlixel. You are a prisoner and want to escape! Make your way through the level and get your freedom, but be careful, it’s not easy. Theres even prisoner cake.
gitwhich works with the Monologue editor.
git, potentially the first Haxe/Lua extern type definitions ever written?!
335 commits have been made to Haxe compiler in the last month.
- Add the Lua target to Haxe.
- Remove old
cppastby default, using the brand new HXCPP OCaml generator.
- Initial support for
MainLoop.hxhave been submitted, leading the way to a standard cross-platform async API, that all frameworks can overwrite or hook into. You can read the original discussion on potential issues, API design and more over on GitHub.
Context.onAfterTyping, a macro callback which is invoked after the compiler is done typing, but before optimization. The callback receives the types which have been typed. It is possible to define new types in the callback, in which case it will be called again with the new types as argument.
@:phpConstant, enabling better support for future PHP extern type definitions.
- Improve handling of
v6support added, behind the flag
- Auto detect rethrows pull request.
CppGoto, use it for
You can start using the latest features by grabbing a nightly build of Haxe.
Have a good week everyone!